5 Ultimate Baby Shower Gift Basket Ideas
Whenever I go to a baby shower, I always get told that I bring the greatest gifts for the mommy-to-be. I’ve heard several times other moms say, “I wish you came to my baby shower!” That always makes me feel so good to know that I brought something that was useful and cute for the special lady and baby of the day. Don’t we all want to give the perfect gift? The gift that makes everyone say “ooo” and “ahhh”? Absolutely! Well, I’ve helped enough mamas and have been to plenty of baby showers to know the best gifts to give. I’m going to share with you my favorite go-to’s for expecting mamas each with it’s own theme. I know this will make your gift stand out from the rest and be super appreciated!
1. Sleep Tight Package
What new mama doesn’t want a good night’s rest, right?! This is why this gift bag is one of the best gift bags you could ever put together. Here’s what you can fill it with:
- Swaddle: You want to mimic the way the baby is in the womb, so a snug swaddle will do just the trick! My favorites are using a soft Aden + Anais swaddle blanket (they have a bamboo option which is the softest of them all) or if you want something that’s a little more fool-proof, a Summer Infant Swaddle Me swaddle is the perfect choice.
- White Noise: Inside the womb, the baby hears so much! He/she hears your heart pumping, your breathing, you speaking, your blood circulating, and more. It’s loud in there. Hearing white noise is comforting to them so this can really help them fall asleep. I highly recommend the Dohm White Noise Sound Machine and the Baby Shusher. Dohm is the Official Sound Conditioner of the National Sleep Foundation and I love how the Baby Shusher is portable and can go with you anywhere.
- Pacifiers: I normally don’t go straight to recommending pacifiers, however, it has been proven that babies that use a pacifier while sleeping (upon other things) can help lower the chances of SIDS. The ones that I have seen many babies like are Soothies, Nuk, and Avent. Babies usually prefer a certain type so try not to buy too many of just one brand.
- Starbucks Gift Card: For those early mornings. Having some yummy coffee after a long day or night is exactly what a new mama needs. Your mommy friend will LOVE you!
- Happiest Baby on the Block DVD: ABSOLUTELY recommend. I feel like every parent needs to learn these tricks in this video. Dr. Harvey Karp teaches on this video the 5 S’s on how to soothe their baby. This is definitely a gift that keeps on giving!
- Night Nanny/Postpartum Doula: This is the ULTIMATE gift! Having a certified + trained professional come into their home to relieve them of a night or two of sleep is seriously the best gift you could ever give new parents. Having helped families myself at night as a certified postpartum doula, I know that this is so appreciated by the new mom and dad. Be sure to look in your area who is available and find out what their training is and their experience.
2. Baby Basics Bag
The expecting mama will be getting so many blankets and baby outfits, she won’t know what to do with them all! Are there even enough days for the baby to wear each one and it still fit? Be sure to get her things that she will NEED, not just things that are cute. I’ve usually put all of these things listed below in a big bag and say these are the Baby Basics. She will love it!
- Baby Detergent: I’ve selected two different types, Dreft and Honest, so you can choose which you prefer. They are both safe for baby, but depending on your budget and if natural/eco-friendly is important to you, you have a second option.
- Diapers: I know that it seems like such a boring gift, but the parents NEED diapers. You can’t give them enough. I’ve experienced that Pampers are really great for wet diapers and Huggies are great for dirty diapers, but since we don’t know when that will happen you can’t really go wrong. Either one, the parents will be so appreciative. If you want to get an eco-friendly option, I recommend Honest. You’ll see diapers on a few of my other lists since it’s so necessary.
- Wipes: Another thing that new parents can’t get enough of. I provided two different options (Pampers and Honest) so that you can choose depending on your budget.
- Hand Sanitizer: Every new parent wants to protect their newborn so having some hand sanitizer on hand can keep those germs at bay. It’s also great for them to have when visitors stop by so they can make sure that their hands are clean too before holding the baby. I recommend Babyganics or Honest. Babyganics is an alcohol-free foam and Honest has a gel or a spray. I love that Honest’s gel doesn’t dry out your hands and their spray smells so good!
- Bottom Balm: Diaper rashes are never fun. Boudreaux’s Butt Paste is amazing! I’ve had many clients use it and it really helps prevent diaper rash and/or treat diaper rash. I also like Honest’s healing balm as well. Since Honest provides a natural and eco-friendly option to just about everything, you know that the baby is always safe.
- Burp Cloths: Babies spit up all the time so it’s good to have a nice, thick burp cloth that can soak + hold all of it. I have tried many different kinds, but honestly, the product that I prefer the most is Gerber’s cloth diapers and using them as burp cloths. I know that they aren’t the cutest, but I promise the parents will actually use them… a lot. You can always add cute materials or embroider them or monogram them to be cuter.
- Pacifier: Some parents need a good pacifier for their little one. I personally recommend Soothies and a great option is a Wubbanub. These have Soothies as their pacifier and they don’t get lost as easily. Once their little one starts playing “fetch” with his/her parents, it makes it so much easier since mom + dad can hold on to one end and not have to “fetch” if the baby tries to throw.
3. On-the-Go Baby
If you want to help build the perfect diaper bag and have any momma ready to go, look no further! Here are my favorites for the baby (and mommy) on-the-go!
- Toys: Having a great teether or something that can distract the baby is always helpful. I suggest getting Sophie (the super popular baby teether–a common shower favorite) and/or Baby Einstein’s Take Along Tunes.
- Diapers: These are a must-have in any diaper bag. It is called a DIAPER bag, you know! Make sure you ask if the parents plan on cloth diapering or using disposable diapers so that you aren’t getting something she won’t use.
- Wipes: You can give them a bag of refills to have ready in their bag, or you can give them a cute portable wipe dispenser. I recommend the OXO Tot On-the-Go Wipes Dispenser.
- Diaper Bag Insert/Organizer: Getting a diaper bag for someone is not something that I recommend since it’s such a personal choice. What I do love though is this diaper bag insert/organizer from ToteSavvy. This way she can use ANY purse or bag and VOILA! It turns into her diaper bag.
- Extra Outfit: They will need an extra outfit when they are on the go. What if the baby has a blow out or spits up all over their clothes? For a cute outfit, you must check out Kickee Pants. They seriously have the softest and cutest stuff. Honestly, I want a pair for me! (They actually do sell adult sizes too!)
- Bottles: If the mama is breastfeeding than a great breastfeeding cover from Bebe au Lait is the perfect thing! If she has pumped, I recommend the Dr. Brown’s bottles. If she is formula feeding her baby, the best bottle hands down is the Mixie baby. You must check it out! It’s too cool.
- Carrier/Wrap: If you’re wanting to splurge a little bit on this mama, getting a wrap or a carrier is the perfect gift. I am a huge advocate for babywearing! One of my favorite wraps is the Baby K’tan Active wrap (their coral and bright blue are just too cute!) and one of my favorite carriers is the Lillebaby Complete Airflow. Perfect for those hot summer days and any season before or after!
4. Diaper Duty Bag
One thing is for sure, these new parents are going to be changing a lot of diapers. A whole lot! So it’s great to have a changing station on each level of the house when the time comes for a diaper change. If their budget doesn’t allow it, or if they have a smaller home, or they just want something easier and more convenient, creating a portable diaper station for them is the perfect gift! Here’s what to include:
- Portable Diaper Caddy: To be able to pick up and take the caddy wherever you need a diaper changing station is genius! My personal favorite is Ubbi’s Portable Diaper Caddy. I love how there is a convenient spot for diapers, wipes, a drawer to store smaller items (like bottom balm, hand sanitizer, etc.), AND a soft changing mat, which is #2.
- Changing Mat: Instead of having to buy another product, save yourself from the hassle and go with Ubbi’s Portable Diaper Caddy since it includes everything you need for your portable changing station.
- Diapers: Told ya that it would be on my list again. 😉 Be a good friend/family member and pick some up!!
- Wipes: Just like diapers, they can’t get enough!! Check out Pampers and Honest for options.
- Bottom Balm: I’ve said it before, Boudreaux’s Butt Paste + Honest’s healing balm are the bomb!
- Hand Sanitizer: Get something small that can fit in the portable caddy. I suggest Babyganics or Honest.
I also like to mention that you do NOT need to get a wipe warmer as a gift. This is just my personal opinion, but I think it’s a waste of money. The heat from the wipe warmer and the moister/wetness from the wipes can cause bacteria to form which is something NO parent wants near their baby especially their baby’s private parts. You would need to make sure that it was properly cleaned once or twice a week to prevent bacteria from building. I also say that you can’t bring a wipe warmer in your purse so when you’re on-the-go, baby has to adjust to a cold wipe which is no fun to hear their shrills in public. :-/
And now for our LAST bag, which is actually my favorite one. Babies get all of the gifts at the showers so be the person to give something great specifically for the mom. 🙂
5. Mama Recovery Bag
When women are pregnant, they think about all the things that they need for baby and forget (or don’t realize) that there are a few things that they need to pick up for themselves. Usually by the time they realize they need these things, they are sending their hubbies/partners to the store. Awkward!! Be the star of the shower and create this much needed and much loved Recovery Bag for the mama-to-be.
- Bath Herbs: Once you have a baby, your whole pelvic floor will be sore. Getting her some bath herbs can really help soothe wounds, aches, pains, reduce swelling, heal tears and perineal bruising. It’s also really good for hemorrhoids too. You can get a regular Sitz Bath at any corner store or you can purchase Earth Mama Angel Baby’s Postpartum Bath Herbs.
- Pads: After giving birth, women will have lochia, which is vaginal bleeding from the uterus lining shedding. It can last as short as two weeks or as long as six weeks. (Note: Do NOT use tampons.) I highly recommend expecting mamas create their own padsicles for when they get home to help with healing so getting them some Always Maxi Pads are perfect for that. I also recommend picking up some TUCKS Medicated Cooling Pads for her as well.
- Teas: Teas can be so helpful for many things, especially a recovering new mama. I absolutely LOVE Birds & Bees Teas. Their Ripe & Ready tea is made for the last few weeks of pregnancy and the very first days after giving birth to help tone the uterus. Their Our Lady of La Leche tea is helpful to increase the quantity and quality of milk as well as support a nursing mother’s overall health. I give them two thumbs up!
- Nipple Balm: She has to protect herself from getting chapped or cracked nipples and two of my favorite nipple balms are Motherlove and Honest. These are a must!
- Cooling/Heating Pillows: When I discovered this product, I was singing hallelujah for all postpartum mamas! Pariday offers TendHer pillows which are soothing gel pads that could be warmed or cooled to help with healing and soothing aches and pains. They have pillows for the breasts or for the perineum.
- Breast Pads: Disposable breast pads are convenient, but can sometimes be uncomfortable and itchy. A company that I highly recommend is Bamboobies. They have soft, organic washable and reusable nursing pads.
- Bottom Spray: Earth Mama Angel Baby’s New Mama Bottom Spray is definitely a must-have in every mama recovery bag. It provides healing and relief without the mama having to do anything but spray on the area needed.
- C-Section Balm: With the US cesarean rate being 32.7% (almost one in three people), you want to make sure that you include something incase she has a c-section. Earth Mama Angel Baby’s C-Mama Healing Salve is a great all-natural product that helps with proper cell regeneration and wound repair. It can also be used for other surgical wounds, old c-section scars, stretch marks, inflamed rashes, and burns.
Phew! There you go! My 5 ULTIMATE Baby Shower Gift Guides so that you can give the best gifts at any and every baby shower.
This article contains affiliate links. These opinions are our own, however, if you buy something we may earn a small commission, which helps us keep our content free to our readers. To see more of our recommended products check out our Chick Picks Shop here. It’s our carefully curated shop of products we love and recommend! ❤️