Choosing a name for their child is one of the biggest moments of a parent’s life. Will you choose something new and modern? How about a classic, timeless name — perhaps your grandmother’s? Or you might choose a name that reflects your heritage so your child always remembers where they came from. With grandparents from Czech and Ukrainian lineage, I can appreciate the beauty and meaning behind traditional Ukrainian boy and girl names like the ones on this list.
From common choices like Aleksander or Anastasia to unique choices like Javelin and Feya, here are more than 100 Ukrainian names for boys and girls that reflect the rich history of Ukrainian culture and start your child off right away with a strong connection to Ukraine.
Ukrainian Name History
Like cultures around the world, the history of Ukraine has influenced baby names over time. For example, as Ukrainian American Media explains, in the pre-Christian era, a child’s name often reflected the family’s life circumstances. A long-desired child got the name Zhdan (from the word “zhdat'” — “to wait”), and a surprise baby would be named Nezhdan (“ne-” — negative prefix + “zhdat'” — “to wait”). Also, the first son in the family was named Odynets’ (“odyn” — “one”), and the third — Tretyak (“tretiy” — “the third”).
Christian influence brought more modern names like Kateryna and Ivan, but old Russian names like Volodymyr and Polina have also stayed the course. And, of course, Slavic names are still trendy throughout Ukrainian culture, which is why we see popular names like Vira and Rostyslav. But whether you prefer a whimsical choice like Feliks, which means happy, or a traditional one like Mariya, which means beloved, we’re confident you’ll find the perfect Ukrainian name for your little one on our list of Ukrainian names.
6 Ukrainian Girl Names Derived From Boy Names
Ukrainian girl names most commonly end in “a” and are often derived from a male version of a name with the same meaning. Here are a few common examples.
1. Aleksandra — Defender of mankind (derived from Aleksander)
2. Bohdana — God’s gift (derived from Bohdan)
3. Daniela — God is my judge (derived from Danilo)
4. Oleksandra — Defender of mankind (derived from Oleksander)
5. Viktoria — Victory (derived from Viktor)
6. Javelina — Spear (derived from Javelin)
3 Ukrainian Girl Names With Christian Influence
Also, due to the strong Christian influence that infiltrated this part of the world in the late 10th century, many Ukrainian girl names, like the following, mean “God is gracious.”
2 Ukrainian Girl Names Connected to Nature
Other Ukrainian girls’ names are more organic and nature-based. These are great choices if you want your baby to grow up with a strong connection to the earth.
1. Inna — Fast-flowing stream
2. Liliya — Lily
2 Ukrainian Boy Names Linked to Bravery
Ukrainian boy names most commonly reflect a cultural appreciation for strength and courage.
1. Borys — Warrior
2. Faddei — Brave and valiant
2 Ukrainian Boy Names Related to Royalty
Many Ukrainian boys’ names are also related to royalty, showing how vital Ukraine’s rulers have been throughout the nation’s history.
1. Alikhan — Prince
2. Vasyl — King
4 Ukrainian Boy Names With Christian Influence
And, just like Ukrainian girls’ names, Christian influence has strongly changed Ukrainian boys’ names throughout history.
1. Bohdan — God’s gift
2. Danylo — God is my judge
3. Fedir — God’s gift
4. Matviy — Given by God
Common Ukrainian Names
If you’re looking for common names from Ukraine, here are some options for boys throughout Ukrainian culture.
18 Common Boy Names
1. Aleksander — Defender of mankind
2. Andriy — Manly and strong
3. Antin — Worthy of praise
4. Artem — Derived from the Greek goddess Artemis, related to the moon or hunting
5. Borysko — Warrior
6. David — Beloved
7. Dmytro — Derived from the Greek goddess Demeter, related to agriculture and fertility
8. Fadeyushka — Brave and courageous
9. Kostyantyn — Derived from Constantine, meaning constant
10. Mark — Dedicated to Mars
11. Maxim — The greatest
12. Mykhailo — Like God
13. Mykyta — Winner
14. Oleksandr — Defender of mankind
15. Oleksiy — Guard, protect, defend
16. Petro — Stone, rock
17. Slava — Person of fame and glory, “Glory to Ukraine!”
18. Vladislav — Possessor of glory, fame
14 Common Girl Names
And for girls, here’s a list of common girl names from Ukraine that we think you’ll love.
1. Anastasia — Resurrection, coming again
2. Anna — Grace or favor
3. Diana — Divine, goddess-like
4. Emiliya — Rival
5. Ionna — God’s gift
6. Kateryna — Pure
7. Khrystyna — Follower of Christ
8. Klara — Bright and famous
9. Maria — Star of the sea
10. Mariya — Beloved
11. Sofia — Wisdom
12. Solomiya — Peaceful woman
13. Svoboda — Freedom
14. Volya — Freedom
Ancient Ukrainian Names
Many parents opt for older, classic names when choosing a moniker for their baby. Here’s a list of ancient Ukrainian names for boys to choose from. These might be antique names, but they’ll never go out of style!
14 Ancient Boy Names
1. Arkady — Saintly name meaning someone from Arcadia
2. Bohuslav — God’s glory
3. Denys — This refers to Dionysus, the Greek god of fertility and wine.
4. Dobromir — World, peace
5. Georgiy — Farmer
6. Igor — Warrior of peace
7. Ilay — Rising, supreme
8. Ivan — God is gracious
9. Izyaslav — One who gets his glory
10. Lubomir — Peace, world
11. Oleg — Sacred or blessed
12. Rostyslav — To increase glory
13. Volodymyr — Great ruler, ruler of the world, ruler of peace
14. Vsevolod — Ruler
18 Ancient Girl Names
And, of course, the girls! Ancient Ukrainian girls’ names are beautiful and reflect the centuries-long history that has helped form the country of Ukraine.
1. Bogdana — Given by God
2. Bożana — Derived from God
3. Daryna — Gift of God
4. Galyna — Calmness
5. Lada — After the goddess of beauty and love from Slavic mythology
6. Lyubov — Love
7. Mila — Gracious or dear
8. Milana — Gracious or dear
9. Miroslava — Peaceful glory
10. Nadiya — Hope
11. Nevena — Everlasting
12. Olga — Sacred or blessed
13. Oresta — One who lives in or conquers the mountains
14. Roksolana — After the beloved Ukrainian-born wife of the emperor of the Ottoman, Suleiman the Magnificent
15. Svitlana — Light, shining, blessed
16. Velena — Imperious mistress
17. Vira — Faith or belief
18. Vlasta — Homeland
13 Beautiful Ukrainian Names
Even though we think all Ukrainian names are beautiful, this list includes a few standouts that show a love for nature, have a celestial meaning behind them or have a meaning that’s beautiful in a different way, like “kindness” or “grace.”
1. Anatoliy — Sunrise (boy)
2. Halya — Moon’s halo or bright one
3. Iya — Violet
4. Kalyna — Rose plant
5. Kvitoslava — Glorious flower
6. Lidiya — Beautiful
7. Lyudmyla — Nice to people
8. Nina — Dreamer
9. Nyura — A girl who is graceful
10. Ruzhena — Red-haired, golden, like a rose
11. Tetyana — Queen of the fairies
12. Umut — Hope (boy or gender neutral)
13. Yeva — Life
Cool Ukrainian Names
Sometimes, you’re just looking for a unique or edgy, a name that exudes a sense of “coolness.” If that sounds like you, don’t worry — we’ve got you covered. Here are some “cool” Ukrainian names for you to choose from.
7 Cool Ukrainian Boy Names
Here are some awesomely cool Ukrainian boy names to try out.
1. Artur — Bear
2. Hadeon — Destroyer
3. Orest — He who stands on the mountain
4. Pavlo — Small but mighty, also rare
5. Spartak — Derived from Spartacus
6. Stepan — Crown
7. Taras — Rebel, son of God Poseidon
10 Cool Ukrainian Girl Names
And then there’s this list of cool Ukrainian girls’ names, which we love. Giving your daughter a name that means “lioness” or “divine” — is there anything cooler?
1. Larysa — Seagull
2. Myroslava — One who is destined for glory
3. Nataliya — Christmas Day
4. Olena — Sunlight
5. Olesea — Girl from the forest
6. Tamara — Palm tree
7. Teona — Divine
8. Ruslana — Lioness
9. Vasylyna — Queenly
10. Zlata — Gold or golden
11 Cute Ukrainian Names
We know your baby is the cutest baby on earth, which is why you’re looking for a Ukrainian name that carries the beautiful culture and history of Ukraine but is also as cute as your new little one. We got you.
1. Feliks — Happy
2. Glib — Hair of God
3. Hryhoriy — Watchful or alert
4. Kuzma — The universe
5. Pylyp — Fond of horses
6. Anichka — Variation of Anna, meaning grace
7. Feya — Fairy
8. Herda — Meaning “thump,” also clumsy
9. Missy — Bee
10. Polina — Little
11. Zolushka — Cinderella
There are a lot of Ukrainian names to choose from, but we know you’ll find the perfect one. If you want to go the princess route, Zolushka is a beautiful choice. For a nature lover, how about Olesea? Whatever your new baby is called, it will be the perfect fit, and they’ll start their life already feeling a sense of pride in carrying a name that’s from the beautiful and powerful nation of Ukraine.
Check out our other baby name lists for more ideas. Try strong boy names, powerful boy names, beautiful girl names, cute girl names, nature names, biblical boy names, and biblical girl names for more ideas on what to name your precious little one. Good luck picking out the right one for your baby!