With so many diapers on the market, you might wonder how much variation there is from one brand to the next. They all get the basic job done, right? After doing a deep dive into an assortment of popular diaper brands and testing some of the most raved-about ones ourselves, we’re here to tell you that diapers do, indeed, come in many different packages.
What to Look For When Shopping For Diapers
They’re not all built the same, so you’ll want to consider a few key factors.
- Absorbency: You’ll want an absorbent diaper durable enough to withstand whatever your baby’s brewing; minimal leakage is critical.
- Quality: Your baby deserves the best—sensitive skin or not, softness and fit matter.
- Style: This is in terms of both function and, for some of us, let’s face it, fashion. OK, maybe not that serious, but with a wide array of diaper aesthetics, why not pick one that fits your vibe?
- Price: Babies go through a lot of diapers. Knowing you’ll likely need 2,000-3,000 diapers in the first year alone, you’ll want to consider your family’s budget when determining which brand is best for your little babe’s bottom.
- Eco-friendly: Again, babies go through a lot of diapers. Which means a lot of dirty diapers end up in the trash. While this factor might not be a top priority for everyone, eco-friendly options are worth considering if you hope to reduce your carbon footprint.
We’ve combed through reviews, completed in-home trials, and rounded up a list of the best diapers for babies of 2023. Check out our Chick Picks below!
Best Overall Diaper (And Best for Newborns!): Pampers Swaddlers
A classic brand, it’s no surprise that Pampers is the #1 pediatrician-recommended diaper and the #1 choice for U.S. hospitals, according to nurses and parents. Pampers Swaddlers are hypoallergenic and dermatologically tested to be safe for a baby’s skin, providing the comfort you can count on. They offer up to 12 hours of protection from leaks (perfect for nighttime), a breathable liner, dual leak-guard barriers, and a color-changing wetness indicator line. Pampers Swaddlers also feature an umbilical cord cutout for added protection for your newborn.
Why We Love Them:
- 100% free of parabens and latex
- Soft and gentle on delicate baby skin
- Multi-layer leakproof design
- Umbilical cord notch
- Hypoallergenic; reviewed and accredited by the Skin Health Alliance
- Excellent rewards program
- Widely available at most retail outlets
Parent’s Thoughts: Pampers Swaddlers are tried and true with numerous endorsements, giving parents peace of mind in the diaper as their go-to. They provide reliability, comfort, and a classic design at a reasonable price, making the pick a win-win across the board.
Best For Bundling (And Customizing!): Hello Bello
Hello Bello is another eco-friendly, hypoallergenic pick known for its fun, creative prints, and consumer-friendly bundling options. This chlorine-free, sustainably built diaper features a plant-derived liner for clean absorbance and a lovable selection of eye-catching, ever-changing designs.
Why We Love Them:
- Hypoallergenic, chlorine-free, and made from sustainable material
- Wetness indicator
- Lightweight and absorbent
- Delightful prints (seasonal included)
- Customizable bundling options
Parent’s Thoughts: Hello Bello diapers are a favorite for their crowd-pleasing prints and convenient bundling options. Parents appreciate the ability to bundle various diaper sizes, designs, and add-ons (including wipes and other Hello Bello household products) and the company’s user-friendly ordering process.
Best Eco-Friendly (And Bamboo) Diaper: Dyper Diapers
This splendidly soft, responsibly crafted diaper is made from 100% bamboo viscose for plush, impressively pleasant wear (and equally impressive performance). Free from harmful chemicals and irritants, Dyper diapers are built to keep your little one comfortable and clean. Apart from all the typical features you’d hope for in an everyday diaper, Dyper takes conscious diapering to the next level with its innovative ReDyper program, allowing used diapers to be returned and composted.
Why We Love Them:
- Biodegradable, chlorine-free, and responsibly built
- Crisp, clean aesthetic; unprinted for an ink-free design
- Dermatologically certified with no harmful chemicals
- Incredible softness
- Consumer-friendly ordering options
- Reimagined environmentally aware practices, such as the ReDyper program
Parent’s Thoughts: Parents love Dyper for the conscious approach to diapering the company takes – and for the diaper’s perfect blend of sturdiness and softness. Parents praise this pick for its gentleness and report minimal irritation/rashes, alluding to high satisfaction levels for adults and kiddos.
A quick web search (or walk through the baby section at your favorite big-box store) proves there’s no shortage of diapers for parents to choose from. There are, however, a number that stand out among the rest. We’ve tried, reviewed, and approved of the ones listed above so that you don’t have to . . . because diapering doesn’t have to be any more of a task than it already is!
This article contains affiliate links. These opinions are our own. However, if you buy something, we may earn a small commission, which helps us keep our content free to our readers. Check out our Chick Picks Shop to see more of our recommended products. It’s our carefully curated shop of products we love and recommend! ❤️