When you’re expecting, one of the many things running through your mind is, what am I going to need for this new bundle of joy? At the top of the list is always diapers. There’s simply no denying the fact that we go through more diapers than many of us ever thought would be possible! So, if you’re trying to stock up on diapers now and are wondering how many diapers you will need the first year, here’s exactly what you need to know.
How Many Diapers Do You Need The First Year?
For one child, you may find yourself going through nearly 3,000 diapers the first year! Wondering how this is even possible? Think about it this way — a newborn will require a diaper change about every 2-3 hours (at least), so you’ll be using diapers left and right!
The good news is that as your baby gets older, you will find yourself changing diapers less frequently than during the newborn phase. So you won’t be going through as many as quickly. You’ll also want to keep in mind that babies grow quickly. You won’t need a ton of newborn packs of diapers, but you will need many more sizes. Here’s a look at roughly how many disposable diapers you’ll need.
- Preemie Diapers (premature: <6 lbs) – as needed
- Newborn Diapers (first few weeks of life: up to 10 lbs)
- Diaper changes per day: 8-12
- How many to purchase: 2-3 packs or 1-2 boxes (based on 140 per box)
- Size 1 Diapers (birth – 4 months old: 8 – 14 lbs)
- Diaper changes per day: 8-10
- How many to purchase: 13 packs or 3-4 boxes (based on 164 per box)
- Size 2 Diapers (3 – 8 months old: 12 – 18 lbs)
- Diaper changes per day: 7-9
- How many to purchase: 15 packs or 4 boxes (based on 142 per box)
- Size 3 Diapers (5 – 24 months old: 16 – 28 lbs)
- Diaper changes per day: 6-7
- How many to purchase: 27 packs or 7 boxes (based on 136 per box)
When you stock up on diaper sizes, keep the receipt. Always check to make sure that they are returnable for a different size if necessary. This will be super helpful when your little one goes through a growth spurt and you suddenly need to size up.
Other Diapering Options
Keep in mind that this number is based on disposable diapers. The good news is that there are other diapering options if you decide that you would prefer a more eco and budget-friendly option. I’m talking about cloth diapers!
If you want to go down the cloth diapering route, you will need to stock up on far less to get through the first year. In general, it’s a good idea to have a solid stock of about 20 cloth diapers, so you always have clean diapers ready to go. There are also many cloth diaper options available like all-in-ones, pre-folds, fitted cloth diapers, and flats. So you’ll want to do a little research to see which option will work best for you.
To learn more specifics about the best cloth diapers system, check out this article.
Tips on Stocking up on Diapers to Get You Through the First Year
Diapers are one of the best baby shower gifts you can ask for! Don’t be afraid to register for a TON of diapers. But there are also other ways to stock up on diapers for the first year too. Here are some ideas to keep in mind before your little one’s arrival:
- Buy one pack of diapers every time you go to the grocery store.
- Whenever you place an Amazon order, add a package to your cart.
- Ask your friends and family for a diaper cake as part of your baby shower gift.
- Look out for diaper coupons from places you usually buy your baby items from. You may be surprised at how much you can save when you stock up on diapers during a good sale.
Getting Prepared For Your Diaper Needs During The First Year
Whether you already had your baby or are currently pregnant, it’s never too late to start thinking about how to stock up on the diapers you’ll need for the first year. Just having diapers on hand is a great way to reduce the stress of preparing for a baby. Stock up when you can by picking up diapers during a sale. And if you have a baby shower, let your guests know that you will gladly accept those diapers! Sometimes it’s truly the essential items that are the most appreciated.