DIY: A Handmade (Toddler) Christmas
My busy toddlers love making crafts. (I think it may have something to do with their fascination with getting dirty and messy.) 😉 Handmade crafts and gifts always make the best family presents for the holidays. Don’t you think? Especially from the little ones. So when I found this idea online, I just knew we would have to make these ornaments for all of the grandparents this year. I also intend to make one of each for us to keep — we allow the girls to decorate their own tree in their playroom every Christmas. I think these “handmade” ornaments will make a lovely addition each year!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4 cups of flour
- 1 cup of salt
- a large mixing bowl
- water to moisten
- a cookie sheet
- a little bit of oil for greasing (or nonstick spray)
- a small rolling pin
- a drinking straw
- decorative ribbon
- paint (optional)
This recipe makes enough for approximately four to six ornaments, depending on the size.
Here’s how you make it:
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees.
- In your mixing bowl, gradually mix the flour, salt, and water. Take care to add gradually, because you can always add more water, but you can’t take away. (I added 1/4 cup water at a time.)
- Next, lightly grease the cookie sheet with oil (or cooking spray). Then roll out your dough — start by making a ball of dough, place it on the cookie sheet, and roll out (smooth surface) to the desired thickness.
- Use the straw to make a hole in the dough before allowing your child to make his or her handprint. You may need to coat his or her hand with flour first (or even sprinkle a little flour over the dough itself), it tends to get a little sticky. Keep in mind that your dough has to be thick enough to make the handprint. If it’s too thin, it won’t work.
- Bake for three to four hours, until dry and hard.
- Once cool, paint the ornament (if desired), and add the ribbon for hanging.
Happy Christmas crafting, my Baby Chick friends! We’d love to see your crafts and creations! Use the hashtag #babychickchristmas when you share to social media!