5 ULTIMATE Baby Shower Gift Bags: Part One
Whenever I go to a baby shower, I always get told that I bring the greatest gifts for the mommy-to-be. I’ve heard several times other moms say, “I wish you came to my baby shower!” That always makes me feel so good to know that I brought something that was useful and cute for the special lady and baby of the day. Don’t we all want to give the perfect gift? The gift that makes everyone say “ooo” and “ahah”? Absolutely! Well, I’ve helped enough mamas and have been to plenty of baby showers to know the best gifts to give. I’m going to share with you my favorite go-to’s for expecting mamas each with it’s own theme. I know this will make your gift stand out from the rest and be super appreciated! Here are the first two options:
1. Sleep Tight Package
What new mama doesn’t want a good night’s rest, right?! This is why this gift bag is one of the best gift bags you could ever put together. Here’s what you can fill it with:
- Swaddle: You want to mimic the way the baby is in the womb, so a snug swaddle will do just the trick! My favorites are using a soft Aden + Anais swaddle blanket (they have a bamboo option which is the softest of them all) or if you want something that’s a little more fool-proof, a Summer Infant Swaddle Me swaddle is the perfect choice.
- White Noise: Inside the womb, the baby hears so much! He/she hears your heart pumping, your breathing, you speaking, your blood circulating, and more. It’s loud in there. Hearing white noise is comforting to them so this can really help them fall asleep. I highly recommend the Dohm White Noise Sound Machine and the Baby Shusher. Dohm is the Official Sound Conditioner of the National Sleep Foundation and I love how the Baby Shusher is portable and can go with you anywhere.
- Pacifiers: I normally don’t go straight to recommending pacifiers, however, it has been proven that babies that use a pacifier while sleeping (upon other things) can help lower the chances of SIDS. The ones that I have seen many babies like are Soothies, Nuk, and Avent. Babies usually prefer a certain type so try not to buy too many of just one brand.
- Starbucks Gift Card: For those early mornings. Having some yummy coffee after a long day or night is exactly what a new mama needs. Your mommy friend will LOVE you!
- Happiest Baby on the Block DVD: ABSOLUTELY recommend. I feel like every parent needs to learn these tricks in this video. Dr. Harvey Karp teaches on this video the 5 S’s on how to soothe their baby. This is definitely a gift that keeps on giving!
- Night Nanny/Postpartum Doula: This is the ULTIMATE gift! Having a certified + trained professional come into their home to relieve them of a night or two of sleep is seriously the best gift you could ever give new parents. Having helped families myself at night as a certified postpartum doula, I know that this is so appreciated by the new mom and dad. Be sure to look in your area who is available and find out what their training is and their experience.
2. Baby Basics Bag
The expecting mama will be getting so many blankets and baby outfits, she won’t know what to do with them all! Are there even enough days for the baby to wear each one and it still fit? Be sure to get her things that she will NEED, not just things that are cute. I’ve usually put all of these things listed below in a big bag and say these are the Baby Basics. She will love it!
- Baby Detergent: I’ve selected two different types, Dreft and Honest, so you can choose which you prefer. They are both safe for baby, but depending on your budget and if natural/eco-friendly is important to you, you have a second option.
- Diapers: I know that it seems like such a boring gift, but the parents NEED diapers. You can’t give them enough. I’ve experienced that Pampers are really great for wet diapers and Huggies are great for dirty diapers, but since we don’t know when that will happen you can’t really go wrong. Either one, the parents will be so appreciative. If you want to get an eco-friendly option, I recommend Honest. You’ll see diapers on a few of my other lists since it’s so necessary.
- Wipes: Another thing that new parents can’t get enough of. I provided two different options (Pampers and Honest) so that you can choose depending on your budget.
- Hand Sanitizer: Every new parent wants to protect their newborn so having some hand sanitizer on hand can keep those germs at bay. It’s also great for them to have when visitors stop by so they can make sure that their hands are clean too before holding the baby. I recommend Babyganics or Honest. Babyganics is an alcohol-free foam and Honest has a gel or a spray. I love that Honest’s gel doesn’t dry out your hands and their spray smells so good!
- Bottom Balm: Diaper rashes are never fun. Boudreaux’s Butt Paste is amazing! I’ve had many clients use it and it really helps prevent diaper rash and/or treat diaper rash. I also like Honest’s healing balm as well. Since Honest provides a natural and eco-friendly option to just about everything, you know that the baby is always safe.
- Burp Cloths: Babies spit up all the time so it’s good to have a nice, thick burp cloth that can soak + hold all of it. I have tried many different kinds, but honestly, the product that I prefer the most is Gerber’s cloth diapers and using them as burp cloths. I know that they aren’t the cutest, but I promise the parents will actually use them… a lot. You can always add cute materials or embroider them or monogram them to be cuter.
- Pacifier: Some parents need a good pacifier for their little one. I personally recommend Soothies and a great option is a Wubbanub. These have Soothies as their pacifier and they don’t get lost as easily. Once their little one starts playing “fetch” with his/her parents, it makes it so much easier since mom + dad can hold on to one end and not have to “fetch” if the baby tries to throw.
These are just the first two selections. I still have 3 more to go! Be sure to check them out tomorrow. And if you think of any other great ideas, please share in the comments below. 🙂