16 Signs You Might Be a Millennial Mom
It’s official. According to new U.S. Census Bureau data, we millennials (born between 1980 and 2000) are taking over. And motherhood, it seems, is no exception. Roughly one in five moms is a millennial; we account for 90% of the approximately 1.5 million new moms last year. Wow, that’s a whole lot of millennial moms. But don’t worry, world. For all the negative things generations before us like to say about millennials, we seem to be doing just fine. We are figuring this parenting thing out. And I have faith we are fully capable. Plus, we know all the best Instagram filters. With knowledge like that, how could we fail? ; )
You Might Be a Millennial Mom If…
1. Play Dates aren’t just for the babies.
Millennial moms like to play, too! And most of us can remember what it was like to be little. (It really wasn’t all that long ago.) We may even be jealous of the super cool toys our kiddos have nowadays . . . is it weird that I kind of want a Barbie Dream House? But maybe the adult version designed by Joanna Gaines? #workhardplayhard
2. You’ve posted 5,627 photos of your little cuties to Facebook and Instagram, but haven’t bothered to print even one and put it into a proper photo album.
You seriously wonder if it is possible to convert your Facebook timeline into your child’s baby book. (Where did you even put that thing?) We millennials love our technology. We use social media (on average) four more hours per week than non-millennial moms.
3. Texting is your preferred mode of communication.
4. Your baby is named something super creative like Aspen.
Or spelled super originally (like Kirstyn or Hadyn).
5. Your pantry (and diaper bag) are full of nutritious, gluten-free, organic foods and snacks.
Obviously. And your children actually like broccoli and hummus. What, like it’s hard? (Channeling my inner Reese Witherspoon, circa Legally Blonde.)
6. Your kids have iPhones (or at least constant access to yours), as well as iPads.
So they can use ABC Mouse, of course! Also, they know how to take selfies. And they take them ALL. THE. TIME.
7. You know what Kidz Bop is, and you may even like a few of the songs better than their original versions.
This is your carpool jam. You’re not afraid to dance like a maniac in the minivan (or giant SUV), when your favorite song comes on. Nothing to see here, people!
8. Amazon Prime is your BFFE.
Why put on real pants, when you can just shop online?
9. You and little Aspen (Aspyn?) have coordinating, ironic tee shirts.
10. Nap time is for binge watching Netflix.
After scrolling through all the kiddie shows, of course. Or taking Buzzfeed quizzes online—as many as humanly possible—and Facebook stalking from the comfort of the couch. With a quart of ice cream (or the good candy) in hand.
11. You’d rather consult a blog than call your mom.
Or your pediatrician.
12. Your babies dress much cooler than you do.
And you are 100% okay with this.
13. You FaceTime with grandma and grandpa #likeaboss.
14. You equal parts love and hate Pinterest.
You knew that gluten-free, sugar-free chocolate chip cookie recipe seemed too good to be true . . .
15. Television (Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus) might be your child’s favorite babysitter.
Also you know all the words to the Sofia the First and Daniel Tiger theme songs.
16. You ask yourself “am I becoming my mother” at least 2,400 times a day.
And you’re slowly becoming more and more okay with this idea. Because, after all, moms are awesome. Even your mom! And you recognize that we are all doing the best we can. Moms are tough; moms are resilient. But sometimes we all need a little bit of encouragement. So never take mom for granted! And thank her for raising a super cool millennial mom. Think about it, without her you wouldn’t have even existed!