DIY Cute Herb Planters
When I’m cooking, I love to incorporate fresh herbs into my various recipes. (I am part Italian. It’s kind of in my blood.) But I don’t always have what I need on hand. And I will be honest — sometimes I fail to plan ahead and make a quick run to the grocery store before nap time, so then I’m stuck. I am (admittedly) guilty of texting my neighbor girlfriends to see if anyone has whatever ingredient I need in their pantries. So embarrassing! So this Earth Day, I decided to celebrate in a unique and festive way. While I have neither the time or the skill for a traditional garden (in this particular stage of my life), I am hoping that I can grow a green thumb and keep my brand new herb garden alive. Check out these adorable DIY planters I made. You can make them, too!
Here’s what you’ll need.
- Small terra cotta pots (number depends on how many you want to make)
- A foam brush
- Chalkboard paint in the color of your choosing (check your local craft store)
- Chalkboard markers in the color(s) of your choosing (check your local craft store)
- Garden-ready herb starter plants (check your local gardening store)
Here’s how you do it.
- First things first: give the terra cotta pots a good scrub. You don’t want to paint dirty pots. Allow them to dry completely.
- Next, begin painting each pot with the foam brush and the chalkboard paint — again, allowing them to dry completely between each additional layer of paint. (It’s best to reference the instructions on the specific paint you purchase.) Repeat until all pots are painted and dry.
- Once completely dry, label each pot using the chalkboard markers. You can write on the pots with just one color, or as many colors as you like. It’s totally up to you! The beauty of using the chalkboard markers is that you can erase and start over whenever you change your mind (or the content of the pots). So fun, right?
- Finally, follow the directions that accompany the garden-ready herb starter plants you purchased when placing them in the pots (and in choosing a location within your home to store the herbs).
- Also take notice of the care instructions. After all, the point is to keep your adorable herb garden alive!
What do you think? Pretty cute, right? And totally useful! Happy Earth Day, Mommy Chicks! Remember, we only have one planet — that we know of at this particular point in time — so we might as well take care of it! xoxo