Toddlers get into everything, don’t they? So, let’s give their little hands something to do. Here are a couple of creative Valentine’s Day crafts for toddlers I’ll be making with my little girl this year. Not only will you have a fun craft at the end, but they are a great sensory activity for your little ones too.
First up: homemade playdough hearts. Not only is it fun for your toddler to get their hands into, but they can also pass them out to her friends during their next playdate.
Homemade Playdough Recipe
What You Will Need:
- 1 cup of flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 tbs cooking oil
- 1 cup of water
- food coloring of choice (I used these pretty pastel colors)
- In a bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients. This includes the flour, cream of tartar, and salt. You may wonder what the cream of tartar is for: it’s to keep the playdough nice and malleable!
- Separately, mix the water and food coloring together in a medium-sized pot.
- Once that’s combined, add your oil.
- Add your dry ingredients to the pot and mix well.
- Cook on medium heat until a dough starts to form. I keep stirring to keep the playdough all together.
- Once it starts clumping together, take off the heat but allow it to cook down for a couple of minutes.
- Spread the playdough on a kitchen mat or baking pan and knead it until it’s nice and soft.
Yes, that first part was more of a craft for mom or dad but now your toddler gets to have some fun!
After the playdough is done I roll it out and give my little girl heart-shaped cookie cutters. Depending on how old your little one is you might have to help them press it into the playdough, or they might be able to do it themselves! Either way, they will love smashing it into the playdough.
Once they are cut out I place the playdough hearts in cute, air-tight gift bags and let her hand out to her little friends.
DIY Heart-Shaped Stamps
My second favorite creative craft for toddlers is heart-shaped stamps. The great part about these stamps is they are free to make!
How To Make the Stamps:
- Simply take an empty toilet paper roll and press in half.
- Then take one of the creases and fold it inward to make a heart.
- Use scotch tape to secure the heart in place. That’s it!
- Now load up on some pretty Valentine’s Day color paints, and pour it onto a paper plate or bowl.
Set your toddler up with either white or even colored paper, and the stamp. Depending on the age of your toddler you may be able to dip the stamp for them or offer a little help. (Your floors may thank you.)
While it might seem simple, this craft allows little ones to improve their coordination. Plus, it’s just fun for them. And after your little one is done, frame it and give it to a grandparent. They are sure to love it.
I hope you and your little ones enjoy these creative Valentine’s Day crafts for toddlers. I know they will have fun and making them and will be able to brighten someone’s day when they give them away. And if you’re looking for more Valentine’s Day craft ideas, check out this board on Pinterest!