Lactation Cookies With a Holiday Twist!
I am a big fan of lactation cookies. Okay let’s be honest, I am a HUGE fan of ALL cookies. And now that we are approaching the holidays, I wanted to give my usual lactation cookie recipe a fun, holiday twist this year. Because when I think about Christmas cookies, I dream about “kitchen sink cookies.” (A delicious cookie with a little bit of everything!) Check out my holiday adaptation below. I’m thinking I won’t be making the same old, tired lactation cookies ever again…
- 2 cups of butter
- 1-1/4 cups of brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 2 cups of oats
- 1-1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons of brewer’s yeast
- 1/4 cup of milled flax seed
- 1/2 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans
Here’s how you make them:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Allow two cups of butter to come to room temperature. Then combine the butter and a cup and a fourth of brown sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Next, add one egg and a teaspoon of vanilla. (I will be honest. I added way more than a teaspoon to the bowl!) Mix until light and fluffy.
- Add two cups of oats, a cup and a half all purpose flour, a pinch of salt, a half teaspoon of cinnamon (I added closer to two tablespoons because I love cinnamon for the holidays), three tablespoons brewer’s yeast, and a fourth a cup milled flax seed to the mixing bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Finally, it’s time for mix-ins. (You probably don’t want to use more than two cups total.) I chose a half cup of dried cranberries, a half cup chocolate chips, and a half cup chopped pecans. You can add whatever you like — that’s what makes them “kitchen sink cookies.” Other options include shredded coconut, raisins, and other dried fruits like apricots. It’s totally up to you!
- Bake for 11 to 12 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely, and then enjoy!
These cookies also freeze well. If you can avoid eating them all in one sitting that is… 😉
Happy (and delicious) holidays, Mommy Chicks!