Keeping Track of Baby Milestones: 3 to 6 Months
Watching our babies grow is one of the most exciting and heartbreaking things, am I right?! As moms, we always want what’s best for our kiddos, which is why it’s so important to keep track of your baby’s milestones. In doing so, you’ll be able to stay up-to-date with making sure your baby is on track and can take action if necessary should there be any red flags (don’t worry, we’ll go over this below)!
Every baby’s milestone timeline is unique.
Before I dive into 3 to 6 months milestones, remember that every child is unique and so is their development. Often times it’s easy to compare babies to others, so remember to keep the focus on YOUR BABY and provide an environment to help him/her THRIVE! Developmentally, kiddos can fluctuate on when they hit milestones and at times this can cause mom’s stress. You may notice your child hits a milestone early or is a little late and honestly mama, either one of these is fine! But what about when it’s not fine? So glad you asked!
If you notice any red flags such as severe delay, complications, abnormalities, or that your child is not hitting certain milestones, be sure to reach out to your pediatrician or healthcare provider. There are many things that early interventionists or therapists can do to help your baby thrive. Understanding and knowing baby milestones are important to help you stay on top of proper development and the well-being of your kiddo!
Tiny personalities are emerging!
And speaking of well-being, isn’t the 3- to 6-month stage so fun?! Your sweet baby should be starting to develop a little personality and is beginning to increase in all of his/her developmental skills including communication, mobility, strength, and cognitive development.
As moms, it’s so easy for us to rush through this season, but remember motherhood is such a fast and fleeting season! Take every day to truly embrace the magic of motherhood and the amazing miracle that your sweet baby is! I’ve really embraced this mindset with my own babies and it’s helped me to be more present and involved Every. Single. Day.
Now let’s get to those 3 to 6 months milestones, mama!
Baby Milestones: 3 to 6 Months Old
Speech and Communication
- Exploration of different sounds
- Turns head to noise or sound
Social + Emotional
- Improved eye contact
- Giggles (cutest ever, right?!)
- Some reading of facial expressions
- Improved interaction and engagement with others
- Shows a preference for cause-and-effect toys
- Shows a preference to people and surroundings
- Typically happy and is able to calm with sensory input like snuggling, rocking, soft sounds, and comfort from a caregiver
- Beginning to lift chest and head off the floor while laying on tummy
- Rocking on stomach
- Begins to roll over (back to tummy and tummy to back)
- Begins to use hands for support while sitting
- Can sit alone
- Begins to stand with support and can distribute weight in both legs
- Identifies fingers and hands
- Starts to grasp objects (like a rattle!)
- Begins to reach for objects
- Begins to use both hands at midline
- Can transfer objects between hands
- Begins to show preference in foods
- May begin to tolerate purées
- Able to sit supported in a chair for feeding
- Improved oral motor control in order to move food from the front of the mouth to the back
Remember, mama! Milestones are a marker and every child is going to develop at a different rate. Use this as a guide to keep yourself and your baby on track. Knowing key milestones and taking early action if something is off is important for addressing delays and optimizing intervention outcomes.
Continue encouraging optimal development.
As you continue to learn about your baby and milestones, take action to help your baby thrive! In order to create an optimal environment, try these ideas:
- Talk to your baby frequently
- Offer toys
- Play games
- Read to your baby
- Follow his/her cues
Trust your intuition and above all, enjoy every minute of this 3 to 6 months’ time period! Sending you all the love, mama!