Breastfeeding and breastmilk is an incredible gift to give your newborn child. But of course it’s unrealistic to think that you will constantly be available when your child is ready to eat. Mothers nowadays are returning to work, have other kiddos to take care of, and tons of other things that are on their mile long to-do list. This is why breast pumps are wonderful because you are still able to give your child the best nutrition, but you can have your partner, your parents, a caretaker help with those feedings while you are busy or away.
When insurance companies announced that they were going to cover breast pumps, my hands rose in the air and I said, “hallelujah!” Unfortunately, it can be tricky and time consuming to figure out how to get coverage on your breast pump and reach the right person. I’ve personally been on hold with many insurance companies for way too long just to get directed to the wrong person so I know how frustrating this can be. This is why I have partnered with Caitlin from Ashland Women’s Health — a company that provides insurance covered breast pumps to expecting and new moms everywhere. Caitlin not only runs Ashland Women’s Health, but she also is a working mom of 3 children and is currently nursing and pumping for her third child. So she gets it, ladies! She and her team know all about this and they are ready to help you get your breast pump covered as easy as 1, 2, 3, 4! Seriously, so grateful to have found them and share this lifesaver with all of you. – Nina
“Does this sound familiar? “My friend said I can get my breast pump paid for by insurance”; “My friend said some plans don’t cover breast pumps”; “Do I have to call my insurance company to get a breast pump?”; “Ugh, I already bought mine at Babies R Us, can I still get it covered?”; “Will my doctor do that for me?”; “What kind of pump would I get?”…
Mommas, don’t fret – I have some easy steps on how you can get it done!
Visit our website and click the main button on our homepage slider to start the process of obtaining your insurance covered breast pump. You will fill out minimal information and will be asked if phone or e-mail is best for communicating the rest of the way. You can also call if you prefer! (630)886-4978
We will collect insurance information from you, and WE will call your insurance company. (This is where you clap because no one wants to try and navigate another call with their insurance company while starving and have to pee 😉 ). We will clearly explain your coverage to you!
Get a prescription from your physician. We can do this for you if you do not already have one! They will fax it directly to us.
Select a pump from our variety of makes and models (including all major brands you’ve heard of), and we will FedEx it to your door free of charge.
These steps can be completed in as little as 1 day! I cannot tell you how many patients say to us “Really? That’s it?!” Yes, that’s it!
If you’re still having a few more questions, here are some common questions that we hear from our clients:
FAQs We Hear from Our Mommas
- Q: Does my insurance dictate what make/model of pump I can get?
- A: No, we offer 6 options at 100% coverage, so you are able to choose from any of them.
- Q: What if I want a pump you don’t offer at 100% covered?
- A: At Ashland, we want our moms to have what they want, so we will get you any pump you want, and we will clearly communicate any upgrade charge associated with the model you are choosing. You will pay the upgrade charge upfront with a credit card – we will include a receipt in the box when we ship.
- Q: When can I get my pump?
- A: We will inform you of any restrictions your insurance company has when you are able to obtain your pump. Some insurance companies allow for us to dispense a pump at any time during your pregnancy where others may have a restriction calling for us to wait until 30 days before your due date. Rarely, insurance will dictate that you have to wait until the baby is born.
- Q: How long do I have to wait to get my pump after I have chosen the one I want?
- A: We use FedEx 2nd day to ship your pump – it will be sent out the day you confirm your pump of choice and best delivery address.
Nursing is many things to many people — For me, I find nursing to be the most convenient and inexpensive way to feed my babies, and I love the snuggle time! I know with 100% certainty that my breast pump is the single most integral part of the process for me. Without it, I would not be able to maintain my milk supply while working. Because of that, I am passionate about helping moms obtain their quality pump, talking to you like a friend, and nourishing the little ones who are just so darn cute!
Wishing you all happy and healthy pregnancies and much nursing success! – Caitlin