If you’re looking for a lightweight and portable double electric breast pump that easily stimulates your milk let-down, we’ve found an amazing pump for you. It’s the Motif Duo Double Electric Breast Pump and it’s a great option for all moms — especially busy moms who need to multitask or travel. We’ve tested it out and are sharing our full review of this newly updated breast pump. With all of its features and conveniences, we know it’s a pump moms will love! Here’s why.
Motif Duo Double Electric Breast Pump
Inside your Motif Duo Double Electric Breast Pump box, you will receive:
- 1 – Motif Duo Double Electric Breast Pump
- 1 – Hands-Free Pumping Bra (XS-L)
- 1 – Lanyard
- 1 – 12V Power Adapter
- 2 – 21mm Breast Shields
- 2 – 24mm Breast Shields
- 2 – 27mm Breast Shields
- 2 – 180mL Milk Collection Containers, Caps, Covers, Disc
- 2 – Bottle nipples
- 2 – Valves
- 2 – Connectors and Diaphragms
- 2 – Tubing and Tubing Connector Pairs
We are so impressed that the Motif Duo comes with a hands-free pumping bra and three different sizes of breast shields! Most pumps only offer two sizes, so this really shows that Motif is accommodating to pumping moms of many sizes.
Features We Love
Compact & Lightweight
The Motif Duo is extremely compact and portable weighing less than one pound. It is super easy to throw into a purse, pumping bag, or diaper bag. This is why we think it’s a great option for a mom returning to work, a mom who has to travel frequently, or a busy mom on the go. We love that it travels easily and that you can wear it on the lanyard around your neck. Whether you have to fold laundry, answer emails, or move about the house, it conveniently goes with you like a necklace.
The LCD screen is convenient and easy to read. It clearly displays the settings and functions that you use to adjust the vacuum intensity, speed, or memory mode settings. Plus, we love the little fun icons of the hand when it’s in massage mode and it’s always helpful to see the battery setting so you know if it needs to be recharged. It’s a very straightforward screen and backlit, so you can always read it if you’re pumping in the dark!
The quiet, low hum of the Motif Duo is fantastic! Some pumps can be loud and obnoxious. We’re grateful that it’s a quiet piece of equipment because mamas can use it while they are with their baby without waking him or her up. Or, if you’re on a phone call or busy at work, this pump’s noise won’t be distracting.
We love that the Motif Duo has 10 different massage levels for you to choose from. This allows you to find the best levels that help you express the most amount of milk. The massage mode is also comfortable and it gently helps start your milk flowing. The purpose of this mode is to stimulate your milk let-down by mimicking a baby’s nursing pattern. Once your milk begins to flow, you simply press the Mode button to switch into expression mode.
Like massage mode, there are 10 different expression levels. With a wide range of levels to choose from, we always felt completely in control of how comfortable we felt during the pumping sessions. It also helps you control the efficiency of the pump session. Once you play around with the different modes, you will see which levels work best for you and help you pump a higher milk output. We like that the Motif Duo Double Electric Breast Pump is easy to use and customizable. Moms can easily adjust the vacuum intensity and speed by pressing the increase or decrease buttons.
This is honestly one of our favorite features on the Motif Duo because it saves pump sessions that you previously recorded with specific settings for frequency and vacuum strength. Since it saves your pumping sessions in its memory, you save time and don’t have to adjust the settings when starting a new pump session! You can simply put the pump back onto your breasts and start a saved session in memory mode.
The fact that the Motif Duo has a closed system is very important to us because this helps ensure that the motor and tubes stay clean avoiding any backflow. That can damage your pump’s motor and cause your breastmilk to be contaminated. Having a closed system pump means you will have peace of mind knowing that your pump equipment is safe and the milk that you’re pumping for your baby is healthy.
As you can see, the Motif Duo is 100% portable and very lightweight. This means you can easily take it with you when you’re at work, running errands, or even standing in the kitchen to cook, wash dishes, or clean around the house. This pump and Hands-Free Pumping Bra allow you to pump breastmilk while moving around. And the rechargeable battery stays charged for 2.5 hours, so you can take it with you when you leave the house for the whole afternoon. You’ll easily be able to get all your pumping in while away.
How to Set Up the Pump
Before you set up the Motif Duo Double Electric Breast Pump, do these two things – wash your hands and also wash the equipment, making sure that you’ve sanitized and sterilized it. Once you’ve done that, assemble the pump like this:
- Place the diaphragm downward onto the diaphragm’s bottom.
- Cover the diaphragm top and turn to lock.
- Place the breast shield (choose the shield that best fits your breast size – 21mm, 24mm, 27mm) into the breast shield connector and connect the valve by inserting it into the bottom of the breast shield connector.
- Then, once you’ve assembled it, screw the bottle (or bottles if you’re doing a double pump session) into the breast shield connector(s) and gently twist the diaphragm assembly onto the top of the breast shield connector(s).
- Connect one side of the tubing to the port on the main part of the Motif Duo pump and connect the other end of the tubing to the back of the diaphragm assembly by inserting the tip of the diaphragm top into the tubing.
- To use the Duo in the double-pump mode, remove the plug from the airflow port and connect the second set of tubing from your collection kit to the breast pump body.
- If you’d like, you can attach the lanyard to the back of the Duo breast pump body for hands-free pumping.
How to Use the Pump
First, you will begin with the massage mode. This helps with your milk’s letdown and starts your milk flowing gently, providing a suction pattern with a low vacuum accompanied by fast cycles. Once your milk is flowing, then switch the pump into expression mode by pressing the Mode (M) button on the pump. This setting is characterized by slower cycles and a higher vacuum, allowing you to express your milk gently and efficiently, with complete control over how fast or intense you want the cycles to be.
There are four buttons, the power button, the increase button, the decrease button, and the Mode button. There are three individual settings for each button, so if you hold it down for one second, two seconds, or three seconds, you have a different option each time.
Operating the Duo:
- Begin by placing the breast shield onto your breast over your nipple, centering your nipple in the tunnel of the shield. This helps ensure that the milk will hit the tunnel in a centered way, reducing run-off inside the shield that can get stuck under the shield. This can happen if you don’t center your nipple properly for the letdown and subsequent expression of my milk.
- Then, turn on the power button to start your pumping session.
- Since we tested the Motif Duo Double Electric Breast Pump, it saved our recorded sessions, and we utilized the memory mode to access the session we wanted to repeat. But when we first set it up—or occasionally if you want to change it up—press the Mode button to toggle back and forth between massage and expression mode. Use the increase and decrease buttons to adjust the frequency and intensity of the pull. Once you determine your most comfortable setting, use the memory mode to record and save it for future use. You will be so grateful that you did!
- The frequency function is great because it shows the number of times the pump pulls per minute, and if you’re using the frequency function, the LCD screen will show the letters ‘C’ and ‘Y’ and a number that tells you the current frequency level.
- After your pumping session is done, turn off the pump, gently remove the shield from your breast, wipe off your breast, and return your bra and shirt to their position. Then proceed to seal off the bottles and disassemble the pump so it can be cleaned properly.
More Cool Facts About the Motif Duo to Point Out!
- Single or Double – The Motif Duo can be used for single or double pumping, depending on how much you need to express.
- Battery Care – This pump has a rechargeable and lightweight lithium-ion battery. If you see a [Lo Bt] symbol on your LCD screen, it’s time to charge the pump’s battery. Unplug the pump from its charger as soon as it is finished charging. Use your pump with a fully charged battery whenever possible so you get the most out of a pumping session.
- Safety Feature – The Motif Duo automatically shuts off after 30 minutes of use. We find this extremely helpful especially during night pumping sessions. If you doze off, the pump will turn off on its own.
- Suction Level – The Motif Duo has a 250 mmHg suction level.
- BPA-Free – You can rest easy knowing that all of your Motif collection containers, lids, caps, nipples, valves, flanges, and tubing are BPA-free!
- Silicon Parts – The Motif Duo valves, tubing, diaphragm membranes, and nipples are made of non-porous silicone. Motif Duo’s flanges, diaphragm cases, bottles, bottle caps, locking rings, and bottle disks are made of polypropylene (PP). And the Motif Duo housing is made of Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS).
The Motif Duo is available through insurance, but coverage depends on your specific insurance plan. Check whether yours would be covered with the Motif Insurance Locator tool.
Overall, we love how easy and “mom-friendly” the Motif Duo Double Electric Breast Pump is! You can take it with you wherever you go and use it as your everyday pump. It makes pumping and mom life more doable and is an excellent option for nursing or pumping moms. Click here to order or register for yours today!
*This article is sponsored, however, we tested, reviewed, and approved this product and have shared our honest opinions. Baby Chick only partners with brands that we have tested and recommend.