Healthier Chocolate Birthday Cake Recipe for Kids
My son’s 2nd birthday is coming up! And with most birthday parties comes a lot of sugar . . . but the birthday cake doesn’t have to. With baby’s first birthday or any young child’s birthday, many of us parents are looking for healthier cake recipe alternatives. We don’t want our sweet babes to have too much sugar (or maybe any sugar at all) since that isn’t the best for their growing bodies. I was on a mission to bake something delicious that was also guilt-free for me to give to my little guy. My almost two-year-old loves chocolate so I made him a healthier chocolate birthday cake perfect for kids and the whole family to enjoy. 🙂
Some of my son’s favorite foods are anything that’s a carb, yogurt, bananas, peanut butter and chocolate. This recipe fits the bill perfectly and I think your little one will love it too! It basically tastes like a double chocolate chip banana muffin but disguised as a cake. But what’s better? There’s no butter, sugar or oil in this recipe! Instead I used Stonyfield Yobaby yogurt, bananas and honey instead. My son has been eating Stonyfield yogurt since he was 6 months old and it is something that we always have in our fridge. As a mom, I like that it’s #1 pediatrician recommended, they are organic, that it contains probiotics, and that it’s a great food options for babies 6 months and older! Their plain Yobaby yogurt is perfect for this recipe!
Here’s what you need to make the cake:
Healthier Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- 3 bananas, ripe
- 2 Stonyfield Yobaby plain yogurt cups
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter (or allergy-friendly alternative)
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- mini chocolate chips for sprinkling on top
I used our 9-inch round cake pans since the cake would be enjoyed by the whole family. If you want to make this as your child’s smash cake, I would recommend getting 5-inch round cake pans. Then your cake won’t be as large.
Now here’s how to make it:
Healthier Chocolate Cake Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Spray your cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a blender, combine the bananas, Stonyfield Yobaby plain yogurt cups, honey, vanilla, and peanut butter. Blend until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the blended mixture into a mixing bowl. Then add the egg and mix in.
- Next, add the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Mix everything together in your mixing bowl.
- Pour in the ½ cup of chocolate chips. Slowly mix the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Then pour the cake batter into your prepared pan. If you’d like, sprinkle chocolate chips on top of the cake. (I did! I think it is a great topper instead of a lot of icing.)
- Finally, bake for 27-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
I did this three times so that I could stack three layers together to give our cake height. In between the layers, I made a yummy healthier chocolate frosting. 🙂
Healthier Chocolate Frosting
- ½ cup peanut butter (or allergy-friendly alternative)
- 8 tsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 8 tsp milk of choice (or more for thinner frosting)
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- optional: handful of chocolate chips
This makes about a cup of frosting. All you have to do is blend everything together (including chips, if using) in a blender.
To say that this healthier chocolate birthday cake was a success would be an understatement. I think you can tell by the look on my son’s face. 😉 It was a huge hit and this mama doesn’t feel so guilty giving him a second helping to celebrate his big day. This sweet boy deserves a (healthier) sweet treat too!