Okay, so I have a teeny, tiny confession. Sometimes I imagine myself as a fancy home-maker in the image of Martha Stewart and attempt to re-create her elaborate desserts/projects/designs/etc. Most attempts, sadly, end up worthy of the #pinterestfail label but sometimes I get it right! The secret, I’ve found, when you’re less-than-crafty is to choose projects that really allow for some creative, ahem, “freedom.”
If you’re anything like me you probably get bit by the “Martha” bug around birthdays and especially the holidays and perhaps make a few attempts that elicit tears and curses, require band-aids (and the cure-all..wine) and ultimately a trip to Target or a visit to Etsy. Well, have no fear!
I declare, this holiday season is going to be a Pinterest success!
In an effort to create some home-made goodness and lower your cortisol levels, Nina and I are sharing some super easy, Pinterest-challenged friendly, holiday treats that are sure to impress your family and friends. (And your significant other if, like mine, has been your unfortunate guinea pig in previous endeavors.)
Go ahead and click play, check out the holiday treats recipes below, try them out and have fun! Happy holiday-memory making, friends!
Holiday S’mores on a Stick
What you’ll need:
- Marshmallows (regular size or the JUMBO campfire roasters)
- Melting chocolate (Wilton’s is a great brand, but you can really use any chocolate)
- Graham crackers or graham cracker crumbs
- Peppermint candy
- Optional add-ons: mini m&m’s, crushed nuts, caramel sauce, sprinkles
- Tools: mini-torch or gas stove, plates for dipping, bowl for chocolate, foil, pan, cake-pop sticks
- “Roast” your marshmallows with either the mini-torch (yes, we have one of these that a friend gave us as a wedding gift. Apparently he thought we made a lot of creme brûlée..) or over the stove.
- Melt chocolate in a double-boiler or in microwave-safe bowl. (For 60 seconds, then stir and melt again at 30 second intervals until creamy.)
- Dip marshmallows in chocolate.
- Sprinkle on graham crackers, then all the add-ons!
- Place on foil and in freezer to set
You can display these on a serving dish at a party or wrap them up in cellophane and give as a gift!
Option: Make snowmen on a stick by placing three regular sized marshmallows on the stick, dipping all and then decorating to look like snowmen!
Holiday Dipping Spoons
What you’ll need:
- Melting chocolate (colored, flavored, up to you!)
- Marshmallow sauce
- Caramel sauce
- Graham cracker
- Crushed candy
- Crushed nuts
- Spoons/sticks for drizzling
- Baking sheet
- Melt chocolate in microwave-safe bowl for 60 seconds then at 30 second intervals until creamy. (Or in ad double-boiler on the stove.)
- Dip spoon! (Make sure to get the inside of the spoon good and covered.)
- Decorate as you please!
- Place on foil, stick in freezer to set
- Dip in your hot cocoa! YUM!!
Videos by: Jacki Schaefer from Water Oak Studio