As a new breastfeeding mom, I can remember feeling hungry all of the time. I knew I was supposed to be making good choices when it came to food, but most of the time, I scarfed down whatever was quickest and easiest because the last thing I felt like doing was making myself healthy meals or snacks. One glorious day, however, I received some lactation cookies in a care package. These delicious (and healthy) cookies were the perfect quick grab, on-the-go, breastfeeding snack. And, BONUS, they help lactating mamas maintain their milk supply!
These lactation cookies are simple to make and absolutely delicious! Even though they are meant for breastfeeding mamas, hungry kiddos (and curious dads?) can enjoy these healthy(ish) cookies, too.
The Best (Seriously) Lactation Cookies
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tbsp brewers yeast
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 12 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix the first eight ingredients together.
3. Next, in a smaller bowl, or the bowl of your electric mixer, beat together the butter and coconut oil on medium until creamy.
4. Add the sugar to the bowl and beat until fluffy on a medium to high speed (approximately four to five minutes).
5. Next, add the egg and egg yolk to the mixture and beat until well combined.
6. Then add the two teaspoons vanilla extract and mix until well blended.
7. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing on a low speed until just combined.
8. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips with a spatula — you want these evenly dispersed.
9. Grease your baking sheet (this helps with sticking). Then scoop the dough onto the baking sheet — using an ice cream scoop helps with size uniformity.
10. Bake for 10 to 14 minutes. Cool completely before storing. The dough also freezes well (if you want to make a bunch at once to keep on hand).
Not only are these lactation cookies a wonderful quick snack to make for yourself, but they are also the perfect gift for new moms! Add them to a thoughtful gift basket with other new baby/new mom goodies, and your mommy friend will be forever grateful!
What were your favorite healthy (or not so healthy) breastfeeding snacks? We would love to hear! Feel free to share in the comments section below.
Adapted from www.howsweeteats.com.