Decoding Pregnancy Cravings
- Healthy Breakfast Ideas for Moms On-the-Go - June 14, 2018
- Healthy Pregnancy Weight Gain - June 5, 2018
- Diastasis Recti: How to Identify Abdominal Separation After Pregnancy - May 14, 2018
As a new mom, I know what it’s like to be a busy woman who wants to regain her body (and energy). I created BeyondFit Mom to give women the tools needed to reach their fat-loss, health, energy, nutrition, and training goals. It’s not about a quick-fix program that leaves you floundering after a few weeks. BeyondFit Life is about results now and in the future. It’s about ongoing support, learning, education, and information sharing so you can take your results “BeyondFit” and into the rest of your life. I’m the founder of BeyondFit Mom, with a Bachelor’s degree in Health and Exercise Science. I’m a professional fat-loss expert with years of experience in helping women shed body fat, boost fitness, and learn how to live a fat-loss lifestyle. I’m also a mom to two little boys, and BeyondFit Mom is my other baby!
Your baby is a REASON to make a healthy choices a priority . . . but when pregnancy cravings hit, it’s often hard to stay on track with a healthy diet! As pregnancy progresses, the enlarging uterus takes up more room in your belly and puts more pressure on your stomach. Eating smaller, healthy meals and snacks helps tremendously when it comes to avoiding heart burn and indigestion.
But when we talk about snacks, we’re not taking about ice cream and potato chips.
Just because you’re “eating for two” doesn’t mean you can make less than stellar nutrition choices.
If your diet is balanced overall, you can definitely splurge on a few of your favorite comfort foods now and then, but the key is balance and moderation. It’s when you begin to indulge on a regular basis that it becomes less of a treat and more of an expectation or habit . . . and THAT is the issue–both for you and for your baby. You are worth feeding your body well . . . and your baby is definitely worth you feeding your body well too!
Here are what some of your most common pregnancy comfort food cravings may be telling you:
- WHAT YOU NEED: carbon, phosphorus, sulfur
- WHAT YOU SHOULD EAT: fresh fruits, fish, eggs, nuts, kale, cabbage
- WHAT YOU NEED: nitrogen
- WHAT YOU SHOULD EAT: fish, nuts, beans
- WHAT YOU NEED: chloride
- WHAT YOU SHOULD EAT: fish, unrefined sea salt
- WHAT YOU NEED: magnesium
- WHAT YOU SHOULD EAT: raw nuts and seeds, legumes, fruits
- WHAT YOU NEED: silicon, tryptophan, tyrosine
- WHAT YOU SHOULD EAT: nuts, seeds, raisins, sweet potatoes, spinach, oranges
Lack of appetite:
- WHAT YOU NEED: vitamin B1, vitamin B3, manganese
- WHAT YOU SHOULD EAT: seeds, beans, fish, walnuts, almonds, pineapple, blueberries
If your pregnancy cravings are getting the best of you, remind yourself: Your health and your baby’s health are much more important than a quick fix of junk food.
Listen to your body and look for healthy versions of the pregnancy comfort food you’re craving.
You’ll still satisfy your pregnancy cravings and desire for some comfort food, but without sacrificing proper health and nutrition.
Here are a few of my pregnancy comfort food cravings turned healthy:
- Tator Tots = Cauliflower Tots!
- Brownies = Fudgey Squash Brownies!
- Pasta = Zucchini “Noodles!”
- Oatmeal cookies = BeyondFit Breakfast Cookies!
- Chocolate Donuts = Chocolate Baked Donuts!
- Pizza = Protein Packed Pizza!
What were some of your pregnancy cravings?
Any healthy alternatives that you love? Comment below to share your favorites!