Decoding Pregnancy Cravings
Your baby is a REASON to make a healthy choices a priority . . . but when pregnancy cravings hit, it’s often hard to stay on track with a healthy diet! As pregnancy progresses, the enlarging uterus takes up more room in your belly and puts more pressure on your stomach. Eating smaller, healthy meals and snacks helps tremendously when it comes to avoiding heartburn and indigestion.
But when we talk about snacks, we’re not talking about ice cream and potato chips. Just because you’re “eating for two” doesn’t mean you can make less than stellar nutrition choices.
If your diet is balanced overall, you can splurge on a few of your favorite comfort foods now and then, but the key is balance and moderation. It’s when you begin to indulge regularly that it becomes less of a treat and more of an expectation or habit . . . and THAT is the issue–both for you and your baby. You are worth feeding your body well . . . and your baby is worth you feeding your body well too!
Here are what some of your most common pregnancy comfort food cravings may be telling you:
- WHAT YOU NEED: carbon, phosphorus, sulfur
- WHAT YOU SHOULD EAT: fresh fruits, fish, eggs, nuts, kale, cabbage
- WHAT YOU NEED: nitrogen
- WHAT YOU SHOULD EAT: fish, nuts, beans
- WHAT YOU NEED: chloride
- WHAT YOU SHOULD EAT: fish, unrefined sea salt
- WHAT YOU NEED: magnesium
- WHAT YOU SHOULD EAT: raw nuts and seeds, legumes, fruits
- WHAT YOU NEED: silicon, tryptophan, tyrosine
- WHAT YOU SHOULD EAT: nuts, seeds, raisins, sweet potatoes, spinach, oranges
Lack of appetite:
- WHAT YOU NEED: vitamin B1, vitamin B3, manganese
- WHAT YOU SHOULD EAT: seeds, beans, fish, walnuts, almonds, pineapple, blueberries
If your pregnancy cravings are getting the best of you, remind yourself: Your health and your baby’s health are much more important than a quick fix of junk food. Listen to your body and look for healthy versions of the pregnancy comfort food you’re craving. You’ll still satisfy your pregnancy cravings and desire for some comfort food, but without sacrificing proper health and nutrition.
Here are a few of my pregnancy comfort foods turned healthy:
- Tator Tots = Cauliflower Tots!
- Brownies = Fudgey Squash Brownies!
- Pasta = Zucchini “Noodles!”
- Oatmeal cookies = Breakfast Cookies!
- Chocolate Donuts = Chocolate Baked Donuts!
- Pizza = Protein-Packed Pizza!