22 Pregnancy Snacks to Keep in Your Purse
Staying full, not nauseous, not overly full, and not indulging in every craving we have while pregnant should be an Olympic sport. I felt constantly hungry (two boys here) but there was a threshold I had to learn I had before I felt like my acid reflux was going to take over my body and my ribs would start to ache so bad.
I had always heard about the cravings and feeling sick but I didn’t really hear about the food aversions that would come and for me, it happened to be basically anything good for me that suddenly didn’t sound good. When I hear pregnant women now talk about how they only crave fruit and salads I want to just run and hide before they ask me what my diet consisted of when I was expecting. Little Debbie snack cakes and Bagel Bites probably wouldn’t reflect well on my mothering skills. So, to help out my fellow sistas who are trying to stay ahead of their hunger and plan their pregnancy snacks, here are some options that will be better for you and the baby than, ahem, cake.
Pregnancy Snacks to Keep in Your Purse
- Cheese Sticks – Quick and easy to grab and high in calcium and protein.
- Hard Boiled Eggs – these are easy to make, great source of protein and convenient to keep in the fridge.
- Popsicles – Okay, you can’t keep them in your purse, but you can take them on-the-go! Make your own with real fruit and almond milk!
- Apples and Nut Butter – Nice sweet snack with protein. Apples are high in fiber and vitamin C and the healthy fats from the nuts make this an awesome choice.
- Grapefruits and Oranges -These are high in Vitamin C and Vitamin C helps your body absorb iron.
- Trail Mix – Making your own is a better option than buying pre-made because of the added sugar in pre-packaged trail mix. Combine dried fruit, nuts, and dark chocolate, or whatever sounds good!
- Smoothies – If in your purse, just make sure the container is spill-proof! Smoothies are a great way to have something that tastes yummy, and able to mask the taste of some of the not so yummy foods that are really good for you.
- Avocado Toast – Toast some whole grain bread and yummy avocado spread on top. Avocados are a great source for potassium and fiber. Make it a sandwich to take it on-the-go!
- Greek Yogurt – Greek yogurt is a probiotic, a source of protein, and the B12 vitamin which is great for your brain health.
- Fresh Raw Veggies – Raw veggies like baby carrots, cucumber slices, red pepper strips, snap peas, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. dipped in hummus or Greek yogurt dip.
- A Pickle Spear Wrapped in a Slice of Cheese – this is a pregnant lady fave!
- Cottage Cheese Mixed with Fresh Berries or Pineapple Chunks – Cottage cheese is rich in protein topping with fruit is a great addition.
- Veggie Wrap – This is a simple snack to make, just roll roasted veggies and cheese in a tortilla.
- Oatmeal – Oats are rich in antioxidants and fiber, top it off with nuts and dried fruit.
- Tortilla Chips – with salsa or guacamole!
- Cup of Unsweetened Applesauce – applesauce is a nutritious option to have on hand for a quick treat, add a handful of almonds to it for a yummy crunch.
- Grapes with Cheddar Cheese Cubes – easy, healthy items that you can throw in a baggie to go!
- Frozen Yogurt – Frozen yogurt is a wonderful ice cream substitute! This is delicious with fresh berries and chopped nuts sprinkled over the top.
- Graham Crackers – Graham crackers are an easy base to any sort of toppings, cream cheese and fruit preserves are some of my faves!
- Muffins – Healthy low-fat muffins like carrot, zucchini, blueberry, bran etc. with butter.
- Fish and crackers – A small serving of tuna fish eaten on crackers, triscuits are my choice.
- Whole Grain English Muffin – topped with cottage cheese and apple butter or fruit preserves.
I hope some of these peak your interest and spark some new ideas for pregnancy snacks that are healthy and nutrient rich. Prep these pregnancy snacks to take on the go with you to avoid grabbing something unhealthy but convenient. Happy snacking!