Full disclosure . . . I LOVE a good list. I have notepads all around my home listing everything from books I want to read to goals I want to smash, groceries I need to buy, and questions to ask at our next pediatrician appointment. This “type A” mommy’s love language is lists on lists on lists. So when we found out we were expecting baby number three and made the decision to pursue an entirely new birth experience at a private birth center, I immediately went on the hunt for a Birth Center Bag Checklist!
I was SO surprised when Pinterest turned up virtually nothing! There were countless hospital bag checklists, but the resources were minimal for Birth Center births. Our birth center is fully equipped with almost everything you’d expect to see in a labor and delivery room but a more comfortable and natural environment.
Like the hospital, the birth center will provide all supplies and medical equipment needed for delivery in their facility. However, unlike a hospital birth, we will be bringing home our baby just 4 to 6 hours after the birth. And because of that, there are a few comforts from our previous two hospital births that I would like to replicate at home during postpartum.
Birth Center Bag Checklist
This is where our Birth Center Checklist comes in! I’ve put together a resource guide that I hope will provide a good starting point for women gearing up for a birth center birth. Whether it’s your first or fourth baby, you can never be too prepared, so I have broken down our list into three sections:
- First, labor essentials. These are the items for you and your partner that may enhance your birthing experience or make you more comfortable during labor.
- Second, baby’s essentials. This is a minimal list of what you’ll need to bring baby home.
- Lastly, and probably most importantly, are postpartum essentials. These are the items you will need as you transition back to your home for the postpartum period.
Now let’s get started!
- The bag
- Birthing gown
- Nursing bra or tank
- Hair ties and a headband
- Toiletry bag with makeup removing wipes
- Comfortable flip-flops and non-skid socks
- Swim top for mom and trunks for partner
- Change of clothes for mommy and partner for going home
- Quick, healthy snacks and drinks
- A great birth playlist and a bluetooth speaker
- Essential oils helpful for labor and birth
- Oil for massage
- Phone and charger
- Stocked diaper bag
- Baby’s coming home outfit
- Swaddle blanket
- Newborn scratch mittens
- Nursing pillow
- Infant car seat installed
- Organic sitz bath spray and soak
- Organic nipple balm
- Reusable/washable bed pad
- Perineal cleansing bottle
- Dermoplast spray
- Tucks medicated cooling pads
- Perineal cold packs
- Organic maternity pads
- Mesh disposable post-delivery panties
Your baby’s birth is bound to be a unique and memorable experience. I hope that this Birth Center Bag Checklist aids in your preparations for what is bound to be the best day of your life! For additional tips for any type of birth from vaginal to cesarean, be sure to check out all of our birth tips here! You will find countless posts on everything you need to know for your upcoming labor and delivery!
This article contains affiliate links. These opinions are our own. However, if you buy something, we may earn a small commission, which helps us keep our content free to our readers. Check out our Chick Picks Shop to see more of our recommended products. It’s our carefully curated shop of products we love and recommend! ❤️