Raise your hand if you haven’t had a date night since before kids. Me too. But honestly, it doesn’t come as much of a surprise. Life can get a little hectic. When you’re constantly shuttling your kids from point A to point B, making dinner, and running the house, making plans for date night becomes a chore. You know spending time with your partner is integral to maintaining a healthy relationship, but it feels too much. It’s one more thing to add to the never-ending to-do list. The good news? It doesn’t have to be a chore if you have some date-night questions ready to spark conversation. Incorporating a regular date night into your schedule may guarantee more quality time (and connection) with your partner.1
125 Date-Night Questions to Ask Your Partner
You know you want to plan a date night (or at least some one-on-one time with your partner), but where do you begin? Take the pressure off putting together a fancy night and instead delve into these deep date-night questions. These date-night questions can be the catalyst for conversation, learning something new about your partner, or ensuring you’re both on the same page.
1. What is your non-negotiable goal in life?
2. What does success look like to you?
3. What do you value most?
4. What is your favorite childhood memory?
5. How do you handle stress or difficult situations?
6. What are your favorite ways to show love and affection?
7. What is your love language?
8. What are your long-term dreams or aspirations?
9. What makes you feel most fulfilled?
10. How do you recharge and take care of yourself?
11. What are your favorite qualities in a friend?
12. What is your favorite book or movie, and why?
13. How do you handle conflicts in a relationship?
14. What are your thoughts on long-term commitment?
15. What do you think are your strengths and weaknesses?
16. Does spirituality or religion play a role in your life?
17. What are your favorite ways to spend quality time together?
18. What do you consider to be the most important part of a healthy relationship, and why?
19. What are your favorite hobbies or interests?
20. What is your ideal way to spend a weekend?
21. What are your thoughts on family?
22. What is your dream career?
23. How do you define happiness?
24. What are must-have qualities in a romantic partner?
25. How do you communicate and connect with others?
26. How do you handle change?
27. What are your thoughts on personal growth?
28. What is the most valuable lesson you’ve learned in life?
29. How do you handle setbacks?
30. What are your favorite ways to express gratitude?
31. What are your thoughts on gender roles and equality in romantic relationships?
32. What are your favorite ways to relax and unwind?
33. What are your favorite ways to show support for your partner?
34. What are your thoughts on money and financial management?
35. How do you define trust?
36. What are your favorite ways to celebrate special occasions?
37. What are your thoughts on personal boundaries in a relationship?
38. What are your favorite ways to stay physically active?
39. How do you manage your time?
40. Where is your dream vacation?
41. What are your favorite ways to have fun and be adventurous?
42. How do you handle self-doubt?
43. How do you support and encourage your partner’s goals?
44. What’s your parenting style?
45. How do you give back to your community?
46. What do you consider most intimate in a relationship?
47. What are your favorite ways to handle stress as a couple?
48. How do you compromise?
49. What’s your favorite creative activity?
50. How do you deal with feeling jealous?
51. How do you maintain your work-life balance?
52. What are your thoughts on personal space and alone time in a relationship?
53. What are your favorite ways to learn and grow together as a couple?
54. How do you handle external pressures or societal expectations?
55. How should we maintain trust in our relationship?
56. How do you feel about technology and its impact on relationships?
57. What’s your favorite way to show appreciation for your partner?
58. What are your thoughts on long-distance or temporary separations?
59. How do you feel about forgiveness and second chances?
60. How do you hype your partner up?
61. Do you feel comfortable being vulnerable? Why or why not?
62. How do you engage in self-care in a relationship?
63. What are your thoughts on personal privacy in a relationship?
64. What are your favorite ways to stay connected in the chaos?
65. How do you handle outside opinions of your relationship?
66. How do you deal with ever-evolving relationships?
67. What are your favorite ways to maintain a deep emotional connection?
68. What makes you feel insecure in your relationships?
69. What are your thoughts on social media and its impact on relationships?
70. What are your favorite ways to support each other’s dreams?
71. What do you do when your expectations aren’t being met?
72. What are your favorite ways to have meaningful conversations as a couple?
73. What are your thoughts on balancing individuality and togetherness in a relationship?
74. What are your favorite ways to explore and try new things together?
75. How do you handle differences in opinion or values?
76. How do you practice self-reflection?
77. What are your favorite ways to celebrate milestones in your relationship?
78. Do you think apologies or making amends can fix relationship problems?
79. How do you keep from falling into a routine in a relationship?
80. What is a deal breaker for you in a relationship?
81. What is the best way to reconnect with your partner?
82. What does “clingy” look like to you?
83. What are your favorite ways to express affection and love for each other?
84. Would you ever consider couples therapy with your partner?
85. What are your thoughts on open and honest communication in a relationship?
86. What are your favorite ways to support each other’s self-care routines?
87. What are your favorite ways to make decisions as a couple?
88. How do you handle feelings of doubt or uncertainty in a relationship?
89. Do you believe in win-win solutions in a relationship?
90. What are your favorite ways to build and maintain a strong physical connection?
91. How important is emotional availability to you?
92. What are your favorite ways to surprise and delight each other?
93. How do you handle differences in expectations or needs?
94. How do you hold your partner accountable in a relationship?
95. What are your favorite ways to navigate and overcome challenges together?
96. What are your favorite ways to express appreciation for each other?
97. How do you handle feelings of being overwhelmed or stressed?
98. What are your thoughts on growing together vs. growing apart in a relationship?
99. What are three words you would use to describe yourself?
100. What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
101. If you could live somewhere else, where would it be?
102. What was your favorite vacation, and why?
103. What do you think people misunderstand about you?
104. If you could be famous for something, what would you want to be known for?
105. What is your most proud accomplishment?
106. If you were to write a book, what would it be about? What would the title be?
107. What was the most meaningful family tradition you had growing up?
108. What do you like about me the most?
109. What is your favorite memory of us?
110. Where do you see us in 5 years?
111. What would a day of all of your favorite meals look like?
112. Who is someone who has really influenced you, and how?
113. What are the top three things you are looking forward to this year?
114. What would you do if we won the lottery?
115. If you could time travel, what year would you go to, and why?
116. If you had to quarantine with a celebrity for a month, who would it be, and why?
117. When you were a kid, who was your biggest hero?
118. What is a hobby that you would like to try?
119. What is your biggest pet peeve?
120. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
121. What would you do if you knew that you only had one more day to live?
122. If you had one superpower, what would it be, and how would you use it?
123. What do you think is the #1 thing that makes a relationship last?
124. How do you maintain a shared vision for your future?
125. What does a happy, healthy lifelong partnership look like to you?
Whether you’re at the beginning of a new relationship or looking to reconnect with your partner, there are plenty of discussion points for every couple to keep the flame of love burning brightly. Infuse joy, excitement, surprise, or relaxation into your time together. Life is hectic – that’s a fact. Being your child’s parent will never change, and yes, there’s always a level of chaos that comes with it. So, make some time to spend with your significant other and talk about all the things that matter most using these 10 date-night questions to start the conversation. I mean, not only are you getting some good quality time in, but you’re showing your kids one of many ways to maintain a healthy relationship.