Top 5 Essential Oils for the First Trimester
Using essential oils while pregnant is a topic that is widely discussed. Many people have different opinions on the matter – however, thousands upon thousands of women around the world use essential oils during pregnancy, and have for centuries.
After having two babies and using essential oils throughout both of my pregnancies (especially during the first trimester), I cannot imagine how it would have been if I didn’t use them. The aromatic, emotional, and physical support they provided me was undeniable – so much so, I know they can do the same for you.
First, let’s discuss some essential oils that some people choose to stay away from during pregnancy, especially the first trimester. Those include:
- Clary Sage
- Idaho Tansy
- Blends that contain those essential oils
However, there are no definitive rules on what to use or not to use, these oils are simply suggestions or preferences from the experiences of other professionals and essential oil users. If you have never used essential oils before, or wonder if they’re for you, you can always consult a medical professional concerning your individualized pregnancy or situation.
Outside of those essential oils listed, women share their stories over and over on how they use tons of different essential oils to help them as they’re growing a sweet baby. And from my experience, there are at least 5 essential oils you cannot live without, especially during the first trimester:
1. Peppermint, or Peppermint Vitality
During the first trimester, many women are extremely sensitive to smell. However, one oil that seems to be a favorite for newly pregnant moms is Peppermint. The aroma is minty, refreshing, and rejuvenating, making it a favorite to inhale in the mornings, diffuse throughout the day, or apply on the tummy as needed. Other women love the way Peppermint Vitality makes their tummy feel when they add a drop under their tongue, or add a drop in a cool glass of water.BUY PEPPERMINT BUY PEPPERMINT VITALITY
Lavender is one of the mildest and gentlest essential oils, and is a huge favorite for women who are pregnant. Its pleasant aroma is extremely soothing, making it a favorite for sleep, rest, or even emotions during this ever-changing time in a pregnant momma’s body and life. On top of that, Lavender is also wonderful for the skin. Women love using it on their face, or applying on their growing belly.BUY
Though Frankincense is a completely different essential oil, it has very similar benefits and uses as Lavender for pregnant moms. For emotions, rest, and mental clarity (pregnancy brain), the aroma of Frankincense is known to be highly beneficial due to its naturally occurring properties. As far as skin goes, Frankincense is an age-old favorite, used for thousands and thousands of years by women. Many moms love adding drops of Frankincense and Lavender mixed with some coconut oil and Vitamin E oil for a homemade belly balm.BUY
4. Lemon or Lemon Vitality
Many newly pregnant moms love the refreshing and citrusy aroma of Lemon. Similar to Peppermint, since it is mild and fresh in smell, this is an oil that many moms don’t have a problem inhaling for mental acuity and energy. Diffusing this essential oil for its cleansing properties in the home is also an extremely common practice. Additionally, Lemon Vitality is a favorite for many moms to drink in a glass of water, or to add under the tongue after meals – and since Young Living’s Lemon Vitality is distilled from the rind of a lemon, not the citrusy acidic fruit part of a lemon, it is very easy on the tummy. Lemon Vitality is known to ease the digestive system and support moms as they go through the first trimester. If you are to add this oil to a beverage, do so only in glass or stainless steel containers.BUY LEMON BUY LEMON VITALITY
5. Stress Away
This essential oil is a blend of Copaiba, Lime, Cedarwood, Vanilla, Ocotea, and Lavender essential oils. The distinct mix of Vanilla and Lime gives this oil blend a unique and pleasant aroma, making this tropical-yet-citrus smelling oil a favorite for pregnant moms. Inhaling Stress Away can bring sense of peace and tranquility, especially for pregnant moms who already have children, or who are experiencing the newness of pregnancy for the very first time. Applying on the wrists, neck, and chest is common, as well as inhaling directly from the bottle or diffusing throughout the day.BUY
Now that you have an idea of which oils you absolutely need during your new pregnancy, here are some quick references that explain what oils to use for certain first trimester experiences:
- Easy Tummy: Peppermint and Lemon essential oils. I applied directly under the nose and over abdomen, as well as inhaled directly from the bottle.
- Digestive Support: Peppermint Vitality and Lemon Vitality essential oils. I added 1 drop of each in a large glass of water and drank throughout the day.
- Emotional Harmony: Lavender, Stress Away, and Frankincense essential oils. I diffused a combination of 3 drops of each oil in my diffuser. I also applied a drop of each oil on my wrists, neck, and chest, as well as inhaled directly from the bottles.
- Energy Boost: Peppermint, Lemon, and Frankincense essential oils. I applied a drop of each oil on my temples and wrists, and inhaled directly from the bottles.
- Pretty “Pregnancy Glow” Skin: Lavender and Frankincense essential oils. I applied directly on desired areas, or mixed 1-2 drops of each in jojoba oil and applied on my face and skin. I also added 10-15 drops of each oil mixed in plain unscented Epsom salts, and poured it into a bath in the evenings for a relaxing and calming experience.
- Stretching Skin: Lavender and Frankincense essential oils. I applied these oils daily on my growing belly. Or, you can create a moisturizing belly balm with coconut oil, Vitamin E oil, 8 drops Lavender, and 8 drops Frankincense, and apply on your belly, hips, and breasts every morning and night.
- Restful Sleep: Lavender, Stress Away, and Frankincense essential oils. I applied drops directly on my feet, spine, forehead, and temples. I also diffused 3 drops of each oil in the diffuser.
Pregnancy is a beautiful thing. It should be a beautiful experience, too! Choosing to use something natural and highly beneficial during this ever-changing stage of motherhood is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made for myself, and my quickly developing babies. Plants were designed to assist our bodies in every stage of life – even when life is growing inside of you!