How to Do Infant Massage
by Nina Spears
I’ve been teaching infant massage to parents and caregivers since 2013. It’s one of the most requested and popular topics that I teach, which is no surprise to me because there are many benefits for baby and the person giving the massage. Infant massage is also very beneficial for premature babies and babies in the NICU.
Some of the benefits for babies are:
- Decreases irritability and excessive crying
- Reduces gas and colic; intestinal issues
- Regulates behavioral states
- Promotes healthy sleep
- Strengthens and regulates primary organ systems (i.e., respiratory, circulatory, nervous, musculature, digestive, and endocrine)
- And more!
Some of the benefits for parents or caregivers are:
- Enhances communication and emotional ties
- Increases vocalization and direct eye contact
- Provides quality one-on-one interaction
- Increases confidence and handling skills
- Gives fathers or other caregivers a special way to connect and bond with baby
- And more!
Parents usually don’t know how, where, and when to start, so I am answering the most frequently asked questions about infant massage and am sharing a full lesson on how to massage your baby properly. Enjoy!