Three of the biggest struggles I hear from breastfeeding moms are lack of milk supply, lack of energy, and lack of time to eat. That’s why today, I’m so excited to bring you an easy (and delicious) solution to all three.
But first things first . . .
Did you know that breastfeeding women require 25 additional grams of protein per day?
Protein is essential for the production of breast milk to nourish your growing baby.
If you’re a breastfeeding mom, it’s vital that you consume your nutrients from whole foods. Great protein sources include lean meat, poultry, fish and shellfish, eggs, milk, cheese, and yogurt. While animal products contain complete proteins (all nine amino acid components), plant sources generally don’t. So eating various foods throughout the day will help ensure that you get all of the amino acids you need.
Breastfeeding moms should be eating three or four servings of protein daily to increase their milk supply.
But between all the demands that come with caring for a new baby, carving out time to prepare a balanced meal can feel like an impossible feat.
That’s why I love to use lactation protein smoothies as a quick, easy, and delicious protein source.
In less than 5 minutes, you can quickly create a wholesome snack that offers your body a variety of the galactagogue nutrients you need to boost your breast milk supply.
Lactation Smoothie for Breastfeeding Moms
Oatmeal & Banana Protein Smoothie
- ½ cup oats
- ½ frozen banana
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 scoop of Protiva New Mom Breastfeeding Protein Powder
- 1 tablespoon nut butter
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds, ground
- Sweetener of choice, such as honey, agave, etc.
- Ice to desired consistency
- Blend & enjoy!
Whether you’re a first-time mama or are a mom to several, you’ve probably heard about lactation smoothies cookies. Many breastfeeding moms swear by these treats and consider them to be an easy (and tasty!) way to boost and maintain your milk supply.
Use the recipe above as a guideline and feel free to create your own unique combination!
One quick Pinterest search will bring up thousands of lactation smoothie recipes. But not all lactation smoothies are the same. It’s important to know that it’s all about the ingredients for the effectiveness of lactation smoothies.
Here’s a quick breakdown of some specific ingredients, or galactagogues, commonly found in lactation cookies:
- Brewers Yeast: This ingredient is a source of B vitamins, chromium, selenium, and protein. It does not contain B12, but the other B vitamins may help boost energy and support the nervous system. It is also said that it can help with digestion and keep your skin, hair, eyes, mouth, and liver healthy.
- Flaxseed or Chia Seed: Chia Seed and Flaxseed are good sources of dietary fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. It contains vitamins E and B, calcium, iron, and potassium. These help keep your digestive system regular and prevent irritable bowel syndrome. It may also lower blood glucose and improve insulin tolerance.
- Oats: A great source of soluble fiber, oats help to slow down the absorption of carbohydrates into the bloodstream, which helps to avoid spikes in your blood sugar levels. They are also a great source of magnesium and other vitamins & minerals, so it’s a great idea to have them as part of your diet anyway!
- Wheat Germ: This ingredient contains zinc, which is a must for breastfeeding moms. Zinc aids the immune system and even helps to protect cracked nipples, a common occurrence when breastfeeding. Like brewer’s yeast, it is also believed to help with postpartum depression.
- Galactogogues: One of the most common ingredients found in lactation cookies, galactogogues. The best lactation cookies always contain galactogogues, which are substances found in various herbs and foods that promote lactation. Examples of galactogogues include turmeric, fennel seed, oatmeal, and chickpeas, to name a few.
These ingredients and this lactation smoothie are sure to do the trick!
This article contains affiliate links. These opinions are our own. However, if you buy something, we may earn a small commission, which helps us keep our content free to our readers. Check out our Chick Picks Shop to see more of our recommended products. It’s our carefully curated shop of products we love and recommend! ❤️